Shared Deployments - Running Containers From File Shares (Deploy without Container Copy)
17/12/2018 Cliff Hobbs
When the deployment executable is run with the /shared switch, shortcuts and file type associations will be created and registered to the Container's current directory, which can be a directory on the local computer or a remote file share.
- Based on the deployment type (machine or user), the shortcuts specified in the shortcuts.xml are registered for the specific user(s).
- Based on the deployment type (machine or user), the file type associations specified in the FileAssociation.xml files are created in the respective HKLM or HKCU root keys of the registry.
- The Container's source files will not be deployed to the target machine and will run from the current location of the Container, either from the file share or local directory.
To register a Container stored on a file share with the server or desktop:
\\<share>\<path_to_container>\Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe /<switches> [ machine | user ] [/tokenlocation <drive>:\<path_to_token_outside_container>] /acceptEULA
where <path_to_container> is the path to the Container and <switches> are the relevant command-line switches you wish to specify.
\\share\containers\container-name\Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe /shared /deploytype [ machine | user ] [/tokenlocation c:\path\to\token\outside\container] /acceptEULA
NOTE: The token is expected to be in the Container unless the path to the token is specified with the /tokenlocation switch. The path can be a local path or a UNC share. The user deploying the Container must be able to read from the token location.
Icons and Network Shares
Icons will not be displayed if the Container is on a remote path — for example, a UNC file share. To work around this, create and apply a Group Policy to enable the use of remote paths in shortcut icons. To create the Group Policy:
- Load gpedit.msc
- Navigate to Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | File Explorer | Allow the use of remote paths in file shortcut icons
- Select Enabled then click OK.
- Apply the Group Policy.
When the uninstall command is run, the Container's source files will not be deleted.