Release Notes 2018-08
Last Updated 28/08/2018
New features and fixes for the Auto Packager, and the Containers created by the Auto Packager. All changes detailed have been released during the month of August will have the build number 4.5.1808.
New Features In Containers
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1808.22814) - Enable class ids (CLSIDs) to be excluded from COM virtualization in AppAccelerator.clc; refer to How to exclude CLSIDs from COM Virtualization.
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1808.22814) - <Feature>COMVirtualization</Feature> supported on Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016.
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1808.22814) - Creates COM keys even when Wow6432Node\Clsid does not exist.
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1808.22814) - <Program> elements in Program.xml extended to include a WaitCondition, specified in seconds e.g. <WaitCondition TimeoutInSeconds="2">Always</WaitCondition>; refer to How to wait after starting a program before starting the next program.
- AppAccelerator (4.5.1808.22824) - Write COM error messages in log instead of error code.
- AppAccelerator (4.5.1808.22824) - VirtualCOM feature generates a container specific virtual id so that multiple Containers can run simultaneously on the same desktop or server.
- AppAccelerator (4.5.1808.22824) - Unable to virtualize Office 2016 x64, WinWord.exe gets stuck in a loop reading registry keys.
Fixes in Containers
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1808.22814) - Unable to launch virtualized Office 2016 Word, 64-bit WinWord.exe gets stuck in a loop reading four registry keys.
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1808.22814) - Use the bitness of AppAcceleratorV.exe to determine whether or not AAVLauncher32.exe is required; the 4.5.1807 release used the bitness of the machine to decide whether it was required. Example, if AppAcceleratorV is 64-bit, the application is 32-bit and the COM target is 32-bit then use AAVLauncher32.exe.
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1808.22814) - COM objects are not created when running in Admin mode.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deploy.exe (4.5.1808.562) - Container deploy should fail and report an error when the path provided to /usagelocation does not exist.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Run.exe (4.5.1808.562) - Application fails to launch from the Container with "ERROR Cloudhouse.Container.Run.App fails with Exiting with code: -1" full details of the stack trace are
Error running package: Cloudhouse.Container.Core.Registry.WriteException: Write failed for registry key Path: 'CurrentUser\Software\Cloudhouse\AppAccelerator\Word_2895\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Classes\.htm\OpenWithList\Excel.exe' and value Value. value='System.Byte'. type='262144'. ---> System.ArgumentException: The specified RegistryValueKind is an invalid value.
- BrowserCompatiblity (4.5.1808.138 ) - Component uses the 4.5.YYMM.nnn format.
Fixes in Auto Packager
- Auto Packager (4.5.1808.23277) - After the Auto Packager has been updated to use a new version of AppAcceleratorV, runtime analysis fails to load because it is trying to use a old version of AppAcceleratorV.
- Auto Packager (4.5.1808.23277) - Auto Packager crashed when packaging an app with the 'Container' folder open in Explorer.
- Auto Packager (4.5.1808.23277) - Auto Packager crashed when packaging an app with an '&' or special characters ",',<,> in the filename.
- Auto Packager (4.5.1808.23277) - Auto Packager crashed when encountering a reg value Qword type that has a byte array as its object, it will now log "Could not parse registry value “RegValue” under path\to\value”, and carry on processing the rest of the registry.
- Auto Packager (4.5.1808.23277) - Updated the commented out feature list inside AppAcceleratorV.clc to include <Feature>COMVirtualization</Feature>.
- Auto Packager (4.5.1808.23277) - Asks the user to provide the friendlier, and more meaningful "AppID" instead of term "GUID".
- Auto Packager (4.5.1808.23296) - Auto Packager crashes if a second shortcut is selected in "Run Installed Applications" while the first program is still open.
- Auto Packager (4.5.1808.23296) - The working directory is not written to the shortcut included in the snapshot, so the application fails to run.
- Container.Editor (4.5.1808.840) - When the package id is changed the Redirections.xml file should be updated.
- Container.Editor (4.5.1808.852) - Redirections.xml should not be a required file, the Container Edtitor will now start up without it.
Cloudhouse recommend using the Auto Packager on x86 operating systems only, re-directions will not be created correctly for applications that contain a mix of x64 and x86 components. Containers will be created successfully for applications that contain only x64 components, but successful packaging on this platform requires detailed knowledge of the application prior to packaging.
Features in upcoming release(s)
Please note details of these features is provided for information purposes only, it does not represent a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any material, code or functionality nor should it be relied upon when making purchasing decisions, nor should it be incorporated into any contract. The order, and priority of these features is at the sole discretion of Cloudhouse.
- Support for applications that use DCOM.
- Without requiring configuration changes, enable Containers to be created in the following situations
- an x86 application packaged on an x86 machine and the Container run on x64 machines and x86 machines
- an x86 application packaged on an x64 machine and the Container run on x64 machines
- an application with a mix of x86 and x64 components packaged on an x64 machine and the Container run on x64 machines.
- Auto Packager creates Containers for Oracle applications that do not support brackets in the path name e.g. Program Files (x86).
- Network redirection to return a different hostname when the Containerized application requests the hostname.
- Auto Packager support for Windows Services.