What's new in Cloudhouse release 1810
16/01/2019 Cliff Hobbs
Release 1810 is now available from Cloudhouse.
New features and fixes for the Auto Packager, Editor and the Containers they create. All changes detailed have been released throughout October 2018. Components that change this month will have a version of 4.5.1810.nnnn
New Features In Containers
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1810.22877) and Cloudhouse.Container.Deploy.exe (4.5.1810.680) - Containers using the COMVirtualization feature are deployed with a configuration that matches the target machine. For example, x86 applications will be configured automatically to use AAVLauncher32.exe when they are deployed on an x64 machine.
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1810.22909) - Hostname virtualization available under <Feature>NetworkRedirection</Feature> the <Network ThisComputer="Oldmachine"> can be used to virtualize the hostname of the server the application is running on so that the application believes it is running on the original server. Use this with server applications where you don't have the installation media and the Container has been created by extracting the running application from the server.
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1810.22909) - Domain Name redirection available under <Feature>NetworkRedirection</Feature> the <DomainName> can be used to redirect the name a client or server application expects to find on the network, to one that is actually present on the network. Use this with server applications where you don't have the installation media, and the Container has been created by extracting the application from the running server.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.680) - When an application's COM Client and COM Server are in separate Containers, /uninstall will unregister the COM Server's configuration specified in the Container.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.683) - /update will update the COM server configuration specified in the configuration files comregistry.xml and comdeployment.xml – this applies to both user and machine deployments.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.742) - logs COM deployment start, stop and configuration events.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.742) - COM deployment is optional, it can be disabled and existing COM servers will be uninstalled - refer to Auto Packager COM Configuration for more details.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.742) - /update should fail early and log if the COM server doesn't exist.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Run.exe (4.5.1810.742) - deploys the ComRegistryKeys under the virtual hive so they don’t have to be imported manually.
Fixes in Containers
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.673) - Uninstall failed when files are marked as read-only. These files are now marked for deletion and will be removed during a reboot.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.673) - Chmetadata.json is now removed last. Previously it was removed too early during the uninstall process as if the uninstall fails and this file has been deleted, you cannot re-attempt the uninstall again (the Container had to be removed manually).
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.673) - Uninstall failed from Add/Remove Programs if the Container deployment tools aren't present, for example it has been deployed from a temporary folder that no longer exists.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Run.exe (4.5.1810.673) - Run fails when launching an application because the specified RegistryValueKind contains an invalid value, and the following message is recorded in the RunWorkflowLog.txt
ERROR Cloudhouse.Container.Run.App - Error running package: Cloudhouse.Container.Core.Registry.WriteException: Write failed for registry key Path: 'CurrentUser\Software\Cloudhouse\AppAccelerator\Word_2895\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Classes\.htm\OpenWithList\Excel.exe' and value Value. value='System.Byte'. type='262144'. ---> System.ArgumentException: The specified RegistryValueKind is an invalid value. Parameter name: valueKind
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.683) - /update fails for Containers deployed with /shared (Shared Deployment from file shares) because files present before the update were not removed.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.683) - should throw a command line exception when a user specifies an invalid combination of /deploydir and /shared command line switches.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.683) - writes the info message "Writing/uninstalling file associations..." twice in the DeploymentWorkflowLog.txt
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.683) - /update uninstalls file associations and shortcuts instead of updating them with the configuration provided in the new file associations and shortcuts XML files.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.683) - /update /acceptEULA failed with exit code -17 if the Container includes an updated EULA file.
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1810.22909) and Cloudhouse.Container (4.5.1810.693) - Accepts spaces within the xml elements of the AppAcceleratorV.clc configuration file.
- AppAcceleratorV (4.5.1810.22909) - Containers created for x86 applications on x64 fail to run on x64 OS because AppAcceleratorV changes hive from HKLM\Software\App and redirects HKCU\Software\WOW6432Node\App when there is no redirection specified in the configuration.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.742) - Uninstall/install runs scripts before they have been copied to install destination.
- Cloudhouse.Container.Deployment.exe (4.5.1810.742) - For /shared deployments, the deployment script will be executed from the deployed Container; currently it is executed from the updated Container.
New Features In Auto Packager
- Auto Packager (4.5.1810.23412) - Fully supports creating x86 applications on x64 OS, and applications with a mix of x86 and x64 components - the Product Advisory that has been in place has now been removed (see below for details). The Auto Packager detects whether it is running on a 64-bit OS and writes the <Feature>RedirectX64PackagedRegistry</Feature> configuration to AppAcceleratorV.clc so that the Container knows which platform it was created on. Containers created on 32-bit OS do not require this feature flag.
- Auto Packager (4.5.1810.23412) - Some applications like Oracle do not support brackets in the path name - the Auto Packager captures applications and creates Containers without using (x86) in the Container's paths, and includes the required redirections for Containers deployed to x64 OS; uses the environment variable %ProgramFilesX86% in the redirections.
- DiscoveryTool (184.108.40.206) - Reports on the CLSIDs registered in the out of process COM Server's executable.
- Auto Packager (4.5.1810.23447) and Editor (4.5.1810.939) - Exclusion lists updated with the following registry keys:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Error Reporting HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows Defender HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing
- ContainerEditor (4.5.1810.939) - Container components updated to the latest version.
- DiscoveryTool (1.0.1810.26) - Version updated to use new format, 1.0.YYMM.nnn where nnn is the build number.
- Auto Packager (4.5.1810.23463) - Create shortcuts for applications that are not in Containers.
- Auto Packager (4.5.1810.23463) - Does not append the Container path to executables that aren’t included in the Container. For example, c:\Windows\System32\CMD.exe
- Auto Packager (4.5.1810.23463) - Generates the COMDeployment.xml and comRegistryKeys.xml automatically – COM registry keys will not be written to AppRegistry.xml - refer to Auto Packager COM Configuration for full details.
- Auto Packager (4.5.1810.23463) - Only virtualize COM server paths; for example, LocalServer32 with a ServerExecutable value of “C:\temp\comserver.exe arg1” will be converted to “%DefaultDir%\ProgData\temp\comserver.exe arg1”.
Fixes in Auto Packager
- Auto Packager (4.5.1810.23412) - Taskbar icon updated to latest Container cog icon.
- AutoPackager (4.5.1810.23412) - CLSID, Interface, and other registry keys redirected at the wrong level. The exclusions list has been updated with:
- AutoPackager (4.5.1810.23420) - Crashes at the system snapshot step, because the registry snapshot contains an invalid high surrogate character (wingding like character), the log file contains the following error message:
"An exception occurred whilst trying to load xml for file name: C:\Users\raxxo\Desktop\New folder\RegistrySnapshot.clc. Please see inner exception for details. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: There was an error generating the XML document. ---> System.ArgumentException: Invalid high surrogate character (0xDD90). A high surrogate character must have a value from range (0xD800 - 0xDBFF)."
- AutoPackager (4.5.1810.23447) - AutoPackager version 4.5.1810.23440 does not generate shortcuts correctly in the Shortcut.xml; The <Target> value does not point to Run.exe but points directly to the EXE itself in ProgData, and the <Arg> does not specify the /runcondition
- AutoPackager (4.5.1810.23463) - The working directory will now be converted to include the Container’s path in Programs.xml
- ContainerEditor (4.5.1810.939) - Removes important AppAcceleratorV configuration and elements when saving changes to the Container; the PackageIds in the virtual root and PackageId attribute should be updated. All other configuration in AppAcceleratorV.clc and Redirections.xml must be preserved.
- ContainerEditor (4.5.1810.944) - When the PackageID is changed, the configuration file AppAcceleratorV.clc will be updated.
Deprecated or Removed Commands
- The <Feature>HookWinsockAPI</Feature> has been removed in AppAcceleratorV 4.5.1810.nnnn , the <Feature>NetworkRedirection</Feature> should be used instead.
Features in Upcoming Releases
See the Features in Upcoming Releases page for details of the features we have planned for feature releases of our products.